Spinach salad with warm bacon dressing is a classic for a reason. It’s a really easy recipe to make and it’s absolutely packed with flavor!
When you combine the tart red wine vinegar with the salty and smoky bacon drippings left in the pan, you get a balanced dressing that is both savory and acidic.
It’s pretty perfect, especially drizzled over the more mild-flavored spinach, mushrooms and hardboiled eggs.
If you want to add another dimension of flavor, you can sprinkle a little blue cheese over the salad just before serving!
Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing Recipe
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pickled red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, optional
- Place rinsed spinach and mushrooms into a large salad bowl and put in refrigerator. Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and fry bacon until it is crispy but still slightly tender. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Remove all but 3 Tbsp of bacon grease from the skillet and return to heat.
- Add red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and honey, and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove dressing from heat and set aside to cool slightly while you chop or crumble bacon into small pieces.
- Remove spinach and mushrooms from refrigerator and add crumbled bacon and pickled onions. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad and toss to coat. Transfer salad to a serving dish and season with salt and pepper. For an unexpected bit of sweetness and additional crunch, sprinkle dried cranberries and sunflower seeds over the top. Be sure to add a few slices of hard-boiled eggs to each serving and enjoy!
With the bacon and hardboiled eggs, this salad can easily be served as a light dinner!