Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie
Our sweet corn and zucchini pie recipe is total comfort food and it’s so easy to make. Using premade pie crust and other inexpensive, easy-to-find ingredients, this dish will satisfy your soul come breakfast, lunch or dinner.
We loved the idea of creating a vegetarian dish that’s a lot like a quiche, but not so ‘eggy.’ The results hit the spot on every level with the sweet and savory flavors of corn and zucchini!
If you’re in a pinch, frozen or canned corn will work just fine, and prepping the other ingredients couldn’t be easier.
Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust recipe, traditional or einkorn
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced about ⅛" thick (2–3 medium zucchinis)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, fine
- 1 cup milk
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper flakes, or red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- Place rack in center of oven then preheat to 375 degrees. Roll pie crust out just large enough to fill the inside of a 9" deep-dish pie plate. Line pie dish with pie crust then beat eggs in a large bowl. Brush beaten egg over entire crust. Poke crust several times with a fork to allow steam to escape then bake 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven and reserve remaining egg for filling.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then add olive oil and onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes then add sliced zucchini. Cook zucchini and onion for 6–8 minutes or until zucchini becomes tender and browns slightly. Add garlic and sweet corn then cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add cornmeal, milk, green onions, dried basil, salt and pepper to bowl with beaten eggs, stirring to combine. Add zucchini and corn mixture and 1 cup of cheese then mix until well combined and cheese has melted. Transfer filling into prepared pie crust then sprinkle with remaining grated cheese over the top.
- Bake 30–35 minutes until filling is set and crust is golden brown. Remove from oven then allow pie to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.