Our sweet corn and zucchini pie recipe is total comfort food and it’s so easy to make. Using premade pie crust and other inexpensive, easy-to-find ingredients, this dish will satisfy your soul come breakfast, lunch or dinner.
We loved the idea of creating a vegetarian dish that’s a lot like a quiche, but not so ‘eggy.’ The results hit the spot on every level with the sweet and savory flavors of corn and zucchini!
If you’re in a pinch, frozen or canned corn will work just fine, and prepping the other ingredients couldn’t be easier.
Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust recipe, traditional or einkorn
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced about ⅛" thick (2–3 medium zucchinis)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, fine
- 1 cup milk
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper flakes, or red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- Place rack in center of oven then preheat to 375 degrees. Roll pie crust out just large enough to fill the inside of a 9" deep-dish pie plate. Line pie dish with pie crust then beat eggs in a large bowl. Brush beaten egg over entire crust. Poke crust several times with a fork to allow steam to escape then bake 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven and reserve remaining egg for filling.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then add olive oil and onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes then add sliced zucchini. Cook zucchini and onion for 6–8 minutes or until zucchini becomes tender and browns slightly. Add garlic and sweet corn then cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add cornmeal, milk, green onions, dried basil, salt and pepper to bowl with beaten eggs, stirring to combine. Add zucchini and corn mixture and 1 cup of cheese then mix until well combined and cheese has melted. Transfer filling into prepared pie crust then sprinkle with remaining grated cheese over the top.
- Bake 30–35 minutes until filling is set and crust is golden brown. Remove from oven then allow pie to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
The cornmeal will absorb all the excess liquid from the veggies to form a firm, delicious filling!