Tarragon Chicken Salad
It’s a fresh spin on a classic favorite! This recipe for tarragon chicken salad has a distinct flavor that pairs perfectly with a buttery cracker or on a slice of fresh baked bread; it’s even delicious on a bed of crisp lettuce.
A delicate herb with a slightly anise (licorice) flavor, tarragon is favored by French cooks who use it to make traditional Béarnaise sauce.
And let’s talk about the variety of texture and flavor in this salad! The grapes are a refreshing add-on that cuts through the richness of the dressing while walnuts bring in a nice crunch.
It’s all topped off with a bit of lemon juice and lemon zest…a bright flavor that’s light on the palate.
tarragon chicken salad recipe
- 1 lb chicken, cooked, diced
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 12 - 15 red grapes, or green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 small celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice the cooked chicken into about ½" cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper if necessary and then add the grapes and walnuts. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, diced celery, red onion, parsley, dried tarragon, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until well combined. Pour the dressing over the chicken and mix until everything is coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- After the salad has chilled for at least 1 hour, give it a stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!