Creamy, cheesy and delicious! Our quick and easy homestyle tuna casserole recipe is not like anything you’ve ever tried before. It comes together in just 30 minutes of prep, and then you can put it in the oven and forget all about it until it’s time to eat.
You’ll find more than just peas in this tuna casserole! We added cooked veggies (hello mushrooms!), low-sodium broth and a few choice spices. Because we can’t turn down a crunchy topping, we put a layer of breadcrumbs on top. If breadcrumbs aren’t your thing however, use shredded cheese instead.
Don’t fret if the pasta is undercooked or the sauce appears to be thin when placed in the oven. The ingredients absorb while baking. When you’re ready to take it to the table, all you have to do is spoon out the servings then grab your fork and go!
Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 lb macaroni, or other small pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, or cheddar cheese
- 2 6 oz packages or cans white albacore tuna, drained thoroughly
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for ½ of the amount of time indicated on the package directions. Drain thoroughly then set aside—the pasta will finish cooking in the oven.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the celery and onion and cook for 3–4 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes—just long enough to soften the mushrooms a bit.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until all of the flour has been moistened. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and stir to make sure all of the flour is dissolved. Stir in milk, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper, bring the mixture to a bubble then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, add the shredded cheese then stir until completely melted and well combined. Fold in the tuna, peas and cooked pasta. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 25–30 minutes or until the center is hot and the edges are bubbling. Allow the casserole to cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!