Vegan BLT – How to Make Tempeh Bacon
Most people assume that you can’t enjoy a BLT sandwich on a vegan diet. After all, bacon is definitely not a vegan food. However, there are substitutes you can use to enjoy the flavor of bacon without actually using any animal products. Tempeh is a great product to achieve this, but the first thing you have to figure out is how to make tempeh bacon so that you can enjoy a plant-based version of this classic recipe.
We marinated tempeh in a mix of pantry staples to bring you all of a BLT’s classic flavors, but with a vegan twist. This recipe is easy to make ahead of time, making it perfect for prepping for lunches or an easy weeknight dinner. We love this recipe because it is completely versatile and you can add any ingredients you’d like to build out this oh-so-good sandwich.
How to Make Tempeh Bacon
Tempeh is a plant-based protein made from soybeans. It’s full of fiber, vitamins, and probiotic benefits, making it a delicious and healthy ingredient for any dish. We love the fact that it easily absorbs the flavors around it and has a distinct nutty flavor. To make tempeh bacon, you’ll start by marinating the tempeh in a mix of easy ingredients for about a half-hour. Then you’ll simply bake the tempeh until it’s crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside.
Vegan BLT Recipe Tips
- You can make this tempeh bacon ahead of time, making it a great option for meal-prepping salads and sandwiches throughout the week.
- Warm your tempeh up by simply throwing it in a pan for a few minutes on each side or using the microwave. It will be crispier in the pan and softer in the microwave.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Vegan BLT Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- avocado mayo
- 4 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a shallow pan, combine the soy sauce, liquid smoke, oil, maple syrup, and pepper. Mix to combine then submerge the tempeh strips into the marinade. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the marinated tempeh onto the baking sheet and pour the marinade on top.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until crispy on the outside but soft on the inside.
- To make the sandwich, generously mayo one side of the bread and place into a hot pan over medium-high heat. Let cook for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan.
- Spread another layer of mayo on the non-toasted side of the bread and layer with lettuce, cooked tempeh bacon, tomatoes, and sprinkle of basil. Place the second piece of bread on top, slice, and serve!