When you’re in the mood for stew, it’s nice to have that go-to, hearty and flavorful recipe that not only makes you feel proud but your family digs too. Our Everyday Dishes slow cooker Cuban-style chicken stew checks all the boxes, plus it only takes 10 minutes to prepare—the slow cooker does all the work!
This recipe isn’t particularly spicy, as Cuban food is traditionally more robust with wine and aromatics. We added lemon juice to add brightness, since this dish is cooked over such a long period of time. The bay leaves are also essential; you just want to make sure to remove them prior to serving.
We love accouterments not just for the flavor they bring to the table but also for the presentation! Consider serving sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, finely diced white onion and shredded cheese on the side.
Slow Cooker Cuban-Style Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 Russet potatoes, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray then add all ingredients except salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low heat for 6–8 hours or potatoes are tender and chicken becomes fall-apart tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. If you would like your dish to be a bit thicker, just remove a few potatoes to a plate, mash them and stir them back into the broth. Remove bay leaves and serve over rice if desired, but we like it just as it is. Enjoy!
If you like the spice, serve with crushed red peppers or sliced jalapeños on top.