What’s better than enjoying a big ol’ plate of French fries? Our guilt-free, gluten-free, baked sweet potato fries recipe! They can be seasoned with anything from cinnamon and sugar to cayenne pepper and chili powder—you’re the cook, so get creative!
Just like the name suggests, sweet potatoes are relatively sweet. But they’re also low on the glycemic scale, which means they have a lower impact on your blood sugar than a regular potato—score! They’re also a great source of vitamin C.
The fries are baked at a high temperature to achieve maximum crispiness. Keep in mind they’ll never be as crispy as the fried version, but we think healthy choices mean we get to eat twice as much!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 large sweet potatoes about 1½ lbs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- spices for sprinkling (such as cinnamon, paprika, cayenne, cumin, etc.)
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Place 2 racks in the top and bottom ⅓ of oven then preheat to 425 degrees. Place 2 baking sheets, 1 on each rack, in the oven to preheat along with it.
- Scrub sweet potatoes under cool water then blot dry using a kitchen towel. Peel potatoes if desired then trim away any blemishes using a paring knife. Cut potatoes in half then into quarters. Cut each quarter into ¼" matchsticks then place them in a large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over sweet potato fries then toss until completely coated in oil. Sprinkle fries evenly with salt, cornstarch and desired spices then toss until cornstarch is completely dissolved and there’s a thin film coating each fry.
- Remove hot baking sheets from oven then coat with cooking spray. Divide sweet potato fries evenly between baking sheets, separating the fries as far apart as possible. Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping the fries every 10 minutes. Remove from oven then serve nice and hot. Enjoy!