Play dough has been around forever but there’s one problem—it’s seems to be getting more pricey each year. The solution? Use natural ingredients to make homemade play dough in no time at all.
Since play dough is a great sensory activity, especially for the younger set, there’s always the chance that your little one won’t be able to resist the temptation to nibble on a piece or two. You won’t have to worry because you know exactly what’s in it!
You’ve probably got everything you need right in the kitchen! Flour, cream of tartar, salt and oil are staples in any household. Add just the right amount of water and you’ll achieve the perfect texture to make it as smooth and pliable as the store-bought version.
You can leave the dough plain but we all know how much kids love bright colors. Just separate the dough into sections or double the batch, then add enough food coloring to achieve how bold you want each color to be.
Homemade play dough instructions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cream of tartar
- Homemade Play Dough cup salt
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- ½ cup boiling water
- food coloring
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add oil, boiling water and food coloring. Stir together until the dough forms and is cool enough to handle. Add more coloring if necessary, until the desired color has been achieved.
- Knead until smooth. If the dough seems too dry, add very small increments of water as needed. If it’s too crumbly, knead in a little bit of oil.
- Store play dough in a resealable bag or airtight container.