This Vegan Nachos recipe is made with Tofu and is loaded with flavorful ingredients and toppings. We took a batch of crispy crumbled tofu to bring forward the Mexican seasonings like chili powder and cumin and put it all atop a crunchy bed of warm tortilla chips. YUM! Then we added toppings like sauteed bell pepper, onion, and corn to make these nachos a filling side dish. It’s also a fun appetizer to serve to friends or family. A batch of these vegan nachos is easy to whip up and is impressive to all. Just grab your favorite vegan cheese and dig in!
Vegan cheese is becoming more and more common in regular grocery stores. If you’re having trouble finding it, try shopping dairy-free brands like Daiya directly online.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Vegan Nachos Recipe Tips:
- Although we do recommend enjoying these nachos immediately while they’re warm, they will stay fresh for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Feel free to swap out the toppings in this vegan nachos recipe with your favorite Mexican ingredients and flavors like pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos, black beans, or whatever else you’d like!
what you'll need
- 14 oz firm tofu block
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil divided
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2 handfuls tortilla chips
- 7 oz vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup corn kernels
- cilantro to serve
- pickled jalapeno pepper to serve
- diced avocado to serve
let's do it
- Open the tofu container and drain excess liquid. Dry tofu by placing the block in between two layers of paper towels or cheesecloth and pressing down gently. Repeat with additional paper towels or cheesecloth until tofu is mostly dry to the touch.
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to crumble the block of tofu. Add the cornstarch and toss to coat the tofu.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Saute, stirring regularly, until tofu crumbles are super crispy. This could take 10-15 minutes or longer, so be patient.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat another skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add bell pepper and onion and saute until just tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Spread tortilla chips in an even layer on the lined baking sheet. Evenly layer the tofu crumbles on top of the tortilla chips. Evenly layer the shredded cheese over the tofu.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is slightly melted. Remove from the oven and add the cooked bell pepper and onion. Top with cilantro, pickled jalapenos, diced avocado, or any other desired toppings.