Sheet Pan Sticky Ginger Sesame Chicken
When you’re looking for high protein chicken recipes for weight loss, it can be easy to get burned out on the same grilled chicken meal night after night. One of our goals is always to make healthy meals absolutely delicious, and this Sticky Ginger Sesame Chicken is just that. What makes this recipe even better is that it is incredibly easy. You get to simply throw it on a sheet pan while you whip up the sauce. No sweat!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
This easy macro friendly chicken recipe is also delicious on top of a salad or bowl of rice for meal prep. Just throw it in a glass food storage container and warm it up in the microwave. Who said that high protein recipes with chicken need to be boring or complicated?
White miso paste may not be an ingredient you already have on hand. You can easily substitute tahini or fish sauce for it in this sticky ginger sesame chicken recipe. But there are also several good reasons to head to the international food section of your grocery store to pick some up. This article highlights multiple ways you can use this flavorful ingredient.
Sticky Ginger Sesame Chicken Recipe Tips:
+ If you can’t find white miso paste at your grocery store, substitute tahini or fish sauce instead.
+ Don’t have cornstarch on hand? Not a problem. You can simply substitute your flour of choice to coat the chicken and thicken the sauce.
- 1 egg white
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-2” pieces
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, divided
- avocado oil, or other cooking spray
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds, to top
- green onions, to top
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg white with a whisk until fluffy. Add the chicken and toss to coat with the egg white. Sprinkle with 3 tbsp of the cornstarch and toss to coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
- Spread the coated chicken in a single even layer on the prepared baking sheet and spray with a little bit of avocado oil spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the chicken. Bake for another 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to a small saucepan, add the soy sauce, orange juice, honey, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, miso paste, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until slightly thickened and reduced. Stir in the remaining ½ tbsp cornstarch and simmer another minute, stirring often until thickened.
- Change the oven to broil. Pour the sauce over the chicken on the baking sheet and toss, then return to the oven. Broil for about 3 minutes, tossing every minute, checking to ensure the sauce doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven and top with chopped green onion and sesame seeds to serve!