Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cupcakes
A little bit of heaven—that’s the only way to describe our cookies n cream cupcakes. In this case, it’s all about the scrumptious frosting (not that our chocolate cupcake doesn’t deserve attention).
The trick to making our frosting super light and fluffy is all about incorporating ingredients so well that any lumps don’t stand a chance. Using a food processor to grind the chocolate sandwich cookies as finely as possible ensures their flavor will infuse the cream cheese frosting.
If you’re short on time but don’t want to miss out on these sweet goodies, use a devil’s food cake mix along with our frosting recipe. No one will be the wiser, and one bite will taste just like your favorite cookies and cream ice cream. This one’s worth a drumroll for sure!
Cookies 'n' Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 16 chocolate sandwich cookies, ground finely
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients with the sugar into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla then stir until completely incorporated.
- Add boiling water and mix carefully until completely combined—the batter will be thin.
- Fill the baking cups about ⅔ full and bake for 12−15 minutes until centers are firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely before applying the frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the icing by beating the cream cheese and butter together until they are combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla then mix until the sugar is completely incorporated and no lumps remain. Stir in the ground cookies, but reserve about 2 Tbsp to sprinkle over the top, if you would like. Otherwise, stir them all into the frosting.
- Once everything is incorporated, cover the frosting with plastic wrap until you’re ready to frost the cupcakes.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread or pipe the frosting over each cupcake and enjoy!