Au Gratin Sweet Potatoes
Our au gratin sweet potatoes with bacon recipe turns ordinary into extraordinary! We used, thyme, butter and cream to create a rich sauce for this casserole.
This dish is simple to make especially if you have a mandolin. Just be careful to watch your fingers and use the guard. If you don’t have a mandolin, slice as thinly as you can using a sharp knife.
Sautéing onions and garlic and mixing them with homemade bacon bits, creates a delish layer, in-between sliced sweet potatoes and Gouda cheese. This dish just begs to be eaten!
You’ll have made a side dish that everyone will be raving about and you will be forever nominated to bring it to holiday meals! It’s that’s good.
Au Gratin Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in medium sauté pan until crispy, then remove and crumble, reserving 1 Tbsp drippings in pan.
- Add onions to pan with bacon drippings and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Remove from heat and toss with bacon crumbles; set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Whisk in flour; about 1 minute then slowly whisk in cream, until there are no lumps. Simmer until thickened; about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and thyme and remove from heat.
- Spread 1 layer of sweet potato slices evenly in 9” x 13” pan, overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper and spoon 1/3 bacon mixture over potatoes. Pour 1/3 cream mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat steps until potatoes and bacon are gone. Finish with cream mixture and cheese.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until bubbly. Enjoy.