Au Gratin Sweet Potatoes
Our au gratin sweet potatoes with bacon recipe turns ordinary into extraordinary! We used, thyme, butter and cream to create a rich sauce for this casserole.
This dish is simple to make especially if you have a mandolin. Just be careful to watch your fingers and use the guard. If you don’t have a mandolin, slice as thinly as you can using a sharp knife.
Sautéing onions and garlic and mixing them with homemade bacon bits, creates a delish layer, in-between sliced sweet potatoes and Gouda cheese. This dish just begs to be eaten!
You’ll have made a side dish that everyone will be raving about and you will be forever nominated to bring it to holiday meals! It’s that’s good.
Au Gratin Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Bacon adds an extra twist to ordinary au gratin sweet potatoes. We use sweet potatoes, Gouda cheese and thyme to create a truly unique flavor.
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in medium sauté pan until crispy, then remove and crumble, reserving 1 Tbsp drippings in pan.
- Add onions to pan with bacon drippings and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Remove from heat and toss with bacon crumbles; set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Whisk in flour; about 1 minute then slowly whisk in cream, until there are no lumps. Simmer until thickened; about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and thyme and remove from heat.
- Spread 1 layer of sweet potato slices evenly in 9” x 13” pan, overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper and spoon 1/3 bacon mixture over potatoes. Pour 1/3 cream mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat steps until potatoes and bacon are gone. Finish with cream mixture and cheese.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until bubbly. Enjoy.
What better way to sneak in lots of vitamins than by serving sweet potatoes! Your family will devour this dish and all the health benefits it contains.
Calories: 544kcal, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 45g, Saturated Fat: 27g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 154mg, Sodium: 915mg, Potassium: 404mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!