Serve something a little different that the kids will love! Our breakfast quesadillas recipe is so much more fun than making breakfast burritos and you can eat them any time of day.
To keep the experience tidy, we cooked the onions and peppers into the eggs to hold the ingredients—this way, they aren’t falling out of the quesadilla when they’re picked up to be eaten.
We added bacon, onion, bell peppers and cheese, but you can easily follow the directions and use any ingredients you like. Chorizo and ham are great substitutes for the bacon, or you may prefer to just use veggies.
If you have an electric griddle, it’s perfect for this recipe because the ingredients will cook easily and evenly in the tortilla. If you don’t have a griddle and are using a skillet or frying pan, just give it enough time to heat completely before placing the breakfast quesadillas in the pan to cook.
Bacon Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 lb bacon
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs well-beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 flour tortillas
- unsalted butter or cooking spray, for grilling
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or Mexican blend, grated
let's do it
- Cook bacon slowly over medium-low heat until it’s just how you like it then transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Remove all but 2 Tbsp of bacon grease and return skillet to heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook 4–5 minutes until veggies are soft and onion is light golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Return skillet to heat then add 1 Tbsp unsalted butter and allow it to melt. Pour in beaten eggs, salt, pepper and the cooked onions and peppers.
- Cook eggs over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the eggs are just barely done. Transfer eggs to a plate and set aside. Wipe out skillet and return to heat.
- Rub a small amount of butter or add a spritz of cooking spray to the pan and place a tortilla on top. Add fillings to ½ of the tortilla starting with ¼ cup cheese, ¼ of the egg mixture, 3–4 strips of bacon then another ¼ cup of cheese.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the top of the filling ingredients and press firmly with spatula. Continue cooking about 3 minutes, until the first side of tortilla is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the quesadilla carefully, and grill on the second side until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden and crispy. Repeat with remaining ingredients, cut into wedges and serve with plenty of fresh salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!