Breakfast Potato Skins
Potato skins are one of America’s favorite bar foods made even better! We’ve taken Russets, sliced them, topped them with the ultimate breakfast ingredient trifecta—bacon, eggs and cheese—then tossed them in the oven. Voila! Breakfast potato skins!
When shopping for ingredients, be sure to pick out large Russet potatoes. Otherwise, the egg won’t fit on the skins. Enjoy!
Breakfast Potato Skins Recipe
- 4 large Russet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
- chives, or green onions, for garnish
- hot sauce, optional
- Preheat broiler and cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, make shallow trough in cut side of potato to hold filling, leaving at least a ¼" border around edges. Be careful not to take too much potato out, just enough to keep filling from sliding off. Brush potatoes with butter, season lightly with salt and pepper. Turn potatoes over and butter and season the skin side. Place them on a baking sheet, skin side up and broil 2-3 minutes until starting to brown. Turn over and broil 2- 3 minutes more then remove from oven.
- Turn off broiler and start oven at 350 degrees.
- Break an egg into each potato skin then sprinkle bacon and cheddar cheese evenly among the potato skins. Sprinkle on a bit more salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and egg is cooked to your liking then remove from oven. Garnish with chives or green onion. Enjoy while still warm with hot sauce if desired.