Pizza Potato Skins
Potato skins—one of America’s favorite tavern foods made even better! We’ve taken good ol’ Russets, sliced ‘em up, topped them with the ultimate ingredient trifecta—pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni—then tossed them in the oven. Voila! Pizza potato skins!
Potatoes are so versatile that you could throw just about any flavor combination on them and they’ll be fantastic. Among a few of our favorites are buffalo chicken potato skins and football potato skins.
When shopping for ingredients, be sure to buy the Russet potatoes in the 5-pound bag because they are usually smaller. The potatoes loose in the bin tend to be larger and will take longer to bake.
Pizza Potato Skins Recipe
- Italian spice blend
- Preheat broiler and cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, make a shallow trough in the cut side of the potato to hold filling, leaving at least a ¼" border around edges. Be careful not to take too much potato out, just enough to keep filling from sliding off.
- Brush potatoes with unsalted butter and season lightly with salt and pepper. Turn potatoes over and butter and season the skin side. Place them on a baking sheet skin side-up and broil 2–3 minutes until starting to brown. Turn over and broil 2–3 minutes more then remove from oven.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp pizza sauce into each potato skin. Top with 2 pepperoni slices and 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese. If the pepperoni is too big for the potato, just dice it up and scatter it over the sauce.
- Broil about 2–3 minutes more until cheese is melted then remove from oven. Garnish with Italian spice and chives or green onion. Enjoy while still warm.