One Pot Broccoli Asiago Cheese Orzo
Broccoli and cheese is a masterful flavor combination. Most commonly enjoyed in the form of soup or a casserole—this broccoli Asiago cheese orzo is one for the books!
This recipe calls for delicious, hearty orzo. While it looks like rice, orzo is most certainly pasta! It’s made with semolina flour—the dense part of the wheat berry—which is responsible for the pasta’s nutty flavor, firm bite and the reason why orzo maintains its shape when cooked.
This dish includes a rich blend of Asiago and Monterey cheese and copious amounts of finely chopped broccoli, which is a brilliant, tactical approach to sneaking veggies into your kids’ dinner!
Round out the meal with baked chicken and a salad and you’re all set. Of course it is good enough to eat alone as a comforting lunch or heavy snack!
One Pot Broccoli Asiago Cheese Orzo Recipe
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add orzo then stir to coat the pasta in the butter. Cook the orzo for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally and allowing it to toast and become light golden brown.
- Add onion then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet then stir the mixture until it comes to a bubble. Immediately reduce the heat to low then cover. Simmer the pasta on low, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the broccoli florets then stir to combine. Most of the liquid should be absorbed by the orzo at this point, but there should be just enough liquid left to steam the broccoli. If the mixture is too dry, add 1−2 Tbsp of water. Cover the skillet and allow the broccoli to steam for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid, then add Asiago and Monterey Jack cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Remove the skillet from heat and test the orzo for doneness. If the pasta is slightly undercooked, place the lid on the skillet and allow it to sit (off the heat) until it softens. If the mixture is too thick, add 1−2 Tbsp of milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!