Breakfast is the best meal of the day and when you can stretch the best meal of the day into the lunch hour, life’s good! Don’t just enjoy the best of both worlds in terms of meal times; combine your all-time favorite meals and make our brunch lasagna recipe!
You heard it right—our brunch lasagna is composed of fluffy scrambled eggs, sautéed green bell pepper, onion and mushrooms layered between lasagna noodles and a creamy, cheesy white sauce. Topped with cheddar cheese and green onion then baked to perfection, you’ll be able to serve a superb meal simply and fabulously.
We were inspired by the flavors of the Denver omelet, but you can select ingredients to match your favorite omelet flavors. To be perfectly honest, we’re dying to try a southwest version!
Brunch Lasagna Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb ham diced, fully cooked
- 1 dozen large eggs beaten
- 2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk slightly warmed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 box lasagna noodles oven-ready
- 2 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- pepper to taste
let's do it
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat then add 1 Tbsp butter. When butter is melted, add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms then lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8–9 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions and peppers are tender and the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Add diced ham just to heat. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, cover to keep warm then set aside. Wipe out skillet and return to medium-high heat.
- Add another 2 Tbsp of butter to the skillet. Swirl to melt the butter and coat the pan. Pour in beaten eggs, 1 tsp salt and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly until eggs are just set, but not too firm. Transfer scrambled eggs back into the bowl [that held the beaten eggs] then cover and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet using a paper towel then return to heat. Melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter and then add the flour. Stir until completely combined and cook for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the warm milk until no lumps remain then bring the mixture to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1 tsp salt and then aside.
- Collect all components to assemble the lasagna. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat a deep 9" x 13" casserole pan with non-stick spray. Add ½ cup of the white sauce to the bottom of the pan then cover with 1 layer of lasagna noodles. Add ½ of the ham and veggie mixture in an even layer over the noodles followed by ½ of the diced tomatoes and ½ of the scrambled eggs.
- Spread 1 cup white sauce over the eggs and sprinkle about ⅔ of the shredded cheese. Repeat the process with another layer of noodles and the remaining of the following: ham and veggies mixture, diced tomatoes, scrambled eggs, white sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then remove foil. Turn on broiler and broil until top begins to brown and is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!