What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
You’ll never have to coax the kiddies into eating their veggies again! Our cheesy steamed broccoli is topped with our amazing einkorn cheese sauce. Of course, we have our steamed broccoli with cheese sauce recipe using traditional all-purpose flour recipe, too, if you don’t suffer from wheat sensitivities.
Our recipe cooks to perfection in just minutes, making your dinner preparation simple and tasty. Trust us, this is one side dish where your entire family will be asking for seconds. In fact, the cheese sauce is so versatile, you can even pour it over pasta, potatoes and asparagus. Frankly, we considered just eating it out of the bowl with a large spoon.
It’s critical you avoid scalding the cheese sauce. Super-hot temperatures will scorch your sauce, rendering it just…gross—there’s no other way to say it. Cooking the sauce over low heat will ensure an enthusiastic thumbs-up from everyone at the table.
Wanna take a walk on the wild side? Add green chiles or diced jalapeños to your sauce for a spicy kick. You can even substitute the sharp cheddar cheese for any one of your alternative favorites like Gruyere, Monterey Jack or Parmesan.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Steamed Broccoli with Einkorn Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- salt, to taste
- Steam broccoli about 4–5 minutes until crisp-tender.
- While the broccoli steams, melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and mustard powder then cook for about 1 minute. Pour in milk, then whisk constantly until the sauce comes to a bubble and has thickened substantially.
- Add cheese in three increments, stirring until each addition is completely melted before adding the next.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Pour this wonderful sauce over freshly steamed broccoli then serve immediately and enjoy!
Whether you make this recipe with fresh or frozen broccoli, it’s a home run for the entire family!