Chicken Casserole with Roasted Veggies
Our chicken casserole with roasted veggies is hands-down one of our all-time favorites! The test kitchen reviews were overwhelmingly positive and there were a few fights over seconds. Always a good sign!
The secret to this recipe is roasting the vegetables. Roasting removes excess moisture and gives a more concentrated flavor. We also used smoked Gouda cheese for its smoky flavor, but any type of smoked cheese will work in this chicken casserole.
Chicken Casserole with Roasted Veggies Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1" cubes
- 13.75 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced large
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, grated, smoked, or mozzarella or provolone, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss diced chicken, red bell pepper, zucchini, artichokes, mushrooms and onions with olive oil.
- Evenly distribute chicken and vegetables on baking sheet spaced as far apart as possible. Use 2 baking sheets if necessary to ensure distance between ingredients. Sprinkle chicken and veggies with salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Roast for about 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven then reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cool chicken and veggies slightly, then transfer to a large bowl. Add marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and 1½ cups grated smoked cheese, reserving ½ cup for topping. Gently mix until ingredients are coated with sauce and the cheese is evenly distributed.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt casserole dish then top with the remaining ½ cup of grated cheese. Bake until bubbly and cheese is completely melted—about 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest 5–10 minutes then serve and enjoy!