Cold weather demands comfort foods and we’ve got just the one to warm your soul. We think our quinoa tortilla soup with its classic spices will compete with those you would find in any Mexican restaurant. And, bonus, it’s vegetarian!
This is a great wintertime soup that can double as a meal—it’s that filling! You can prep while you cook so it only takes about an hour from start to finish. Have a busy week coming up? Make a batch ahead of time, freeze it then bring it out when you need a homemade meal in a snap. You’ll have enough for 10 servings so plan accordingly.
Our recipe is easy to follow, pretty basic and can be adjusted to one’s tolerance level for hot, spicy sauces.
Serve with avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, chopped onions and cilantro. Enjoy!
Tortilla Quinoa Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 8 - 5" corn tortillas
- 2 Tbsp oil divided
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup red quinoa rinsed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- avocado sliced
- radish sliced
let's do it
- Stack corn tortillas and slice into thin matchsticks. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat then add about ¾ of strips to hot oil. Set remaining strips aside. Stir tortillas to cover with oil and let cook until crispy and beginning to brown 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove strips from pot and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- Place pot back over medium high heat and add remaining 1 Tbsp oil. When hot pour in onions and cook 3 minutes until softened. Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, oregano, paprika, and cumin and let cook for 1 minute more stirring constantly. Add reserved tortilla strips, broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, black beans, corn, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Pour in the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes to cook quinoa.
- If you are making the soup ahead of time, cool soup and refrigerate until time to serve. Just bring back to a simmer and proceed with recipe.
- Add lime juice and cilantro and serve. Top each bowl with sliced or chopped radish, avocado and the crispy tortilla strips.