Getting the perfect recipe for homemade cake can be difficult because they can yield a finished product that’s dry and cottony. Our cream cheese-filled red velvet mini cakes recipe is rich with flavor and exceptionally moist.
Traditionally, red velvet cake is prepared as a layer cake and topped with cream cheese or buttercream frosting. We adore red velvet, but rather than cook one large cake, we decided it’s so much more chic to make individual servings.
We tested our recipe using super sweet antique mini jello molds, which are inexpensive and dainty. Just be sure to properly grease your cake mold.
Red Velvet Mini Cakes Recipe
what you'll need
red velvet mini cakes
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp food coloring
- 1 tsp vinegar
cream cheese filling
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, food coloring and vinegar in a medium mixing bowl
- then add to dry ingredients. Stir to just combined–do not over stir.
- Grease jello molds and pour batter into molds until ¾ full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before unmolding.
- To make the cream cheese filling, cream butter and cream cheese together and add powdered sugar, cream until combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- To fill the cakes, poke hole in bottom and pipe in filling. Refrigerate filled cakes for 5 minutes to let filling firm up before serving. Enjoy!