What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
Our einkorn hamburger wild rice casserole is a tasty weeknight meal. Because we love the flavor so much, it even makes a great dish to serve company! Don’t have einkorn flour? No worries! Just make hamburger wild rice casserole using traditional all-purpose flour.
If making this casserole for finicky eaters, just run the mushrooms through the food processor before adding them into the mix. It’s a great way to sneak in the veggies all while achieving the savory taste you love.
If ground beef isn’t in your wheelhouse then just swap it with ground chicken, turkey, pork or extra-lean meat such as bison. Combined with mushrooms and long grain wild rice, our hamburger wild rice casserole is one of our favorite meals.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Hamburger Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
what you'll need
- 3/4 cup long grain and wild rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 oz button mushrooms sliced, or cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice blend, water and butter. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, let stand for 5 minutes, covered, then fluff and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, place large skillet over medium-high heat then add ground beef. Cook 5–7 minutes or until no pink remains, breaking meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic then cook 4–5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and mushrooms soften.
- Drain excess grease from skillet, return to stove then reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture then mix until flour has dissolved completely. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently then add beef broth. Stir to combine, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring liquid to boil then add thyme, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low then simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in milk, return to boil then reduce heat once again and simmer 5–6 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add Parmesan cheese and prepared rice blend to the beef. Stir to combine then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish then top with Italian cheese blend.
- Bake uncovered 20–25 minutes or until the center is hot and the sides are nice and bubbly. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving.