Our skillet hamburger wild rice casserole is a tasty weeknight meal. Because we love the flavor so much, it even makes a great meal for serving company! This dish is made with prepackaged wild rice and a host of fresh ingredients so it’s simple to prepare. Making this recipe a winner all around.
If you’re making this casserole for the kids, you can run the mushrooms through the food processor before including them in the cooking process—that way you can sneak in their veggies while getting the savory taste you love.
If ground beef isn’t in your wheelhouse, swap it with ground chicken, turkey, pork or extra-lean meat like bison. Combined with your favorite mushrooms and brand of long grain wild rice, our hamburger wild rice casserole will be one of your favorite meals too.
Hamburger Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
what you'll need
- 6 oz box long grain and wild rice
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 oz button mushrooms sliced, or cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray. Prepare long grain and wild rice according to box directions then fluff it with a fork and set aside.
- Place large skillet over medium-high heat then add ground beef. Cook 5–7 minutes or until no pink remains, breaking meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic then cook 4–5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and mushrooms soften.
- Drain excess grease from skillet, return to stove then reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture then mix until flour has dissolved completely. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently then add beef broth. Stir to combine, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring liquid to boil then add thyme, paprika and oregano. Reduce heat to medium-low then simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in milk, return to boil then reduce heat once again and simmer 5–6 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add Parmesan cheese and prepared rice blend to the beef. Stir to combine then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish then top with Italian cheese blend.
- Bake uncovered 20–25 minutes or until the center is hot and the sides are nice and bubbly. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving.