Einkorn Shepherds Pie
What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
You’ve got to try our einkorn shepherds pie recipe if you’re looking for something comforting, simple and delicious to eat. Ground beef and veggies with einkorn beef consommé topped with whipped potatoes—that’s what’s for dinner! You can also make shepherds pie (classic or vegetarian) using traditional all-purpose flour.
This classic recipe is homemade heaven and it’s a terrific way to use up that leftover roast beef you have sitting in the fridge. You can gussy up a seemingly homely meal by making this recipe in individual dishes for each member of your family. Your flock will love it!
If you’re a planner, you can make both the filling and topping in advance. Just be sure to store it separately in the refrigerator. How easy is that? Simply assemble and bake when you’re ready for dinner.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Easy Shepherds Pie with Einkorn Flour Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth, or beef consommé
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 egg, well beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9" deep dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place peeled and diced potatoes in medium saucepan and add water to cover by 1". Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender and fork pierces easily. Drain potatoes and return to heat to allow any additional water to evaporate (10−20 seconds). Add butter, sour cream, salt and onion powder. Whip potatoes until light and fluffy (if they are too thick, add a small amount of milk or additional sour cream to achieve desired consistency). Cover and set aside.
- Add ground beef, onion and carrots to large skillet over medium-high heat. Break ground beef into pieces and continue cooking until no pink remains. Add garlic once beef is browned and cook 1 minute. Sprinkle beef with flour and stir until completely incorporated and cook 1 minute. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, salt and pepper and bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to low. Simmer 5−6 minutes until thickened and remove from heat. Stir in peas and transfer to prepared pie dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over beef mixture, making sure to spread potatoes all the way to the edges to seal filling inside then brush potatoes lightly with beaten egg. Place the pie pan on a baking sheet to catch any drippings. Bake 25−30 minutes until tips of potatoes turn golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving then enjoy!