Einkorn Sweet Potato Gratin with Bacon
What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
Add our einkorn sweet potato gratin to your list of sides for any holiday or special occasion. We included savory ingredients such as bacon, onion, garlic and Gouda cheese to make this layered dish a welcome addition to your menu. Don’t have einkorn wheat? No worries! You can sweet potato gratin using traditional all-purpose flour.
Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A, so if you’re not planning to use them right away, store them in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place for up to ten days.
If you have a mandolin slicer, use that instead of a food processor. The mandolin’s super sharp (be careful!) blade will cut neater, thinner slices for more uniform cooking. It’s also much easier to clean than a food processor!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Sweet Potato Gratin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a medium sauté pan until crispy then remove and crumble, reserving 1 Tbsp of the drippings in the pan.
- Add onion to the pan with bacon drippings and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, stir then remove from heat. Toss with bacon crumbles and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour for 1 minute then slowly whisk in the milk until there are no lumps. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes until thickened. NOTE: We strongly recommend you weigh your einkorn flour, if possible, for better accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, fluff the flour with a fork before you measure it in a cup.
- Stir in salt, pepper and thyme then remove from heat. Spread a layer of sweet potato slices evenly in a 9" x 13" pan, overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper then spoon ⅓ of the bacon mixture over the potatoes. Pour ⅓ of the milk mixture on top and sprinkle with ⅓ of the cheese.
- Repeat steps until the potatoes and bacon are gone. Finish with the milk mixture and cheese.
- Bake 35–45 minutes, or until bubbly. Enjoy!