Enchilada Tamale Pie
If you have a passion for Tex-Mex cuisine, then our enchilada tamale pie recipe is right up your alley. It’s a combination of your favorite enchilada and tamale dishes to experience the best of both worlds—so grab a fork!
There really isn’t much that goes into the preparation of this casserole. With a simple corn muffin mix, spicy green chiles and other easy-to-find ingredients, you’ll have dinner ready in a flash.
Control the thermostat of this dish by choosing mild, medium or hot enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and green chiles. Frankly, we loved the spice factor!
Enchilada Tamale Pie Recipe
- 8 1/2 oz box corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- large egg
- 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 7 oz can green chilies, chopped, divided
- 1 package taco seasoning, divided
- 3 cups chicken breast, shredded, cooked
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- cilantro, chopped, and sliced green onions for topping
- Place rack in center of the oven then preheat to 375 degrees. Coat a 9" x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray then set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently combine muffin mix, milk, egg and cream of chicken soup. Add half of the green chiles and 1 Tbsp taco seasoning into the batter then stir until spices and chiles are evenly distributed. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish then bake 20–25 minutes, until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- While the corn layer bakes, add remaining taco seasoning and green chiles to shredded chicken, stir until well combined then set aside.
- Remove corn layer from oven then pour the entire 10 oz can of enchilada sauce on top. Evenly layer shredded chicken over the enchilada sauce then sprinkle with cheese to cover. Bake 15–20 minutes, until cheese is melted and the sauce bubbles on the sides.
- Remove from the oven then allow casserole to sit for 5–10 minutes before slicing. Top with chopped cilantro and sliced green onions. Cut into large pieces and serve!