It’s hard to find a really good side dish that doubles as an appetizer and can be grilled. Well, the search is over! Grilled tomatoes with cheese can be prepared in 15 minutes. Cooked in just 5 minutes, they are a yummy addition to any barbecue.
Tomatoes filled with garlic, oregano and parsley and blended with Monterey jack and a little Parmesan make an extra cheesy treat that is lower in calories than most sides yet high in flavor!
Roma or plum tomatoes are your best choice because their moisture content is less than other varieties and prevents them from falling apart easily. Don’t worry if they’re slightly under-ripe—they’ll taste great once they’re grilled!
Grilled Tomatoes with Cheese Recipe
what you'll need
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- oil for brushing the grill
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
let's do it
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membrane. Season the inside of each tomato shell with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Fill each tomato shell with approx. 2 Tbsp of shredded Monterey Jack cheese and top with about 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese.
- Brush the grill grates with oil, place the tomatoes on the grill and close the lid. Grill for about 4–5 minutes, just until the cheese melts. (Do not leave the tomatoes on the grill too long or they’ll become too soft and possibly collapse.)
- Just before serving, place tomatoes under an oven broiler to brown the cheese.
- Remove the tomatoes from the broiler and sprinkle with dried oregano and parsley. Allow the tomatoes to cool just a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!