Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
It’s all about the lemon with these scrumptious lemon poppy seed muffins! Lemon zest and lemon juice in both the batter and the glaze are the perfect combination to enhance that citrus flavor in every bite.
Be sure to cool the muffins completely before storing them. Otherwise, you’ll trap the steam in the container and the glaze won’t have a chance to harden.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
A yummy lemon glaze makes these slightly tart lemon poppy seed muffins deliciously sweet.
Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Place a rack in the center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Spray standard muffin tin generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate smaller mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fill each cup of the muffin tin approximately ¾ full then bake 18–20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove muffins from the oven, cool 5 minutes in the pan then remove and transfer to a wire rack. Stir all ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl. Adjust the consistency of the glaze with a few drops of water or lemon juice or additional powdered sugar if necessary.
- Brush or spoon the glaze over the tops of the muffins while they’re still nice and warm. Serve immediately or leave on the rack to cool completely and allow the glaze to set before storing.
Don’t worry if your batter has a few lumps—they’ll cook out! Stirring the batter too much will result in less-than-tender muffins.
Calories: 302kcal, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 301mg, Potassium: 78mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 20g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!