The ingredients for our low carb chipotle chicken and vegetable soup come together in just 15 minutes, then, after a stint on the stove, you’ll have a hearty, rich soup that you’ll love.
This recipe is based on Caldo Tialpeno, which is a Mexican chicken chickpea soup. You can make this in a Dutch oven or you can make it in a slow cooker.
Serve this soup alone topped with plenty of avocado, cilantro and sour cream or serve it over some freshly steamed jasmine rice for another layer of filling.
Low Carb Chipotle Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 6 oz fresh green beans sliced into 2" pieces
- 2 zucchini large diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 - 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp corn starch
- cilantro chopped
- avocado diced
- radishes sliced
- Mexican cheese blend
- lime wedges
let's do it
- Remove skin and bones from chicken and shred meat.
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat the add onions, carrots and green beans. Cook until onions are softened about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, garlic, chipotle chilies, and thyme and cook 1 minute more. Add broth, chickpeas and chicken to pot and bring to a simmer to slow cook. Partially cover and let simmer 1 hour.
- Dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 1 Tbsp water. Stir into simmering soup to thicken slightly.
- To serve, garnish soup with your choice of cilantro, avocado, radish, cheese and lime wedges.