Dying for pasta but feel guilty about the carbs? Our low-carb lasagna recipe made with cabbage lets you stick to your diet while enjoying a family favorite.
We’ve replaced the noodles with cabbage, and we promise you’ll barely notice they’re missing! After all, noodles just serve as a vessel to deliver that scrumptious filling to your lips.
If you like our low-carb approach to Italian favorites, try our low-carb spaghetti squash lasagna. It’s a home run!
Low-Carb Lasagna Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 medium cabbages
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 Anaheim pepper chopped
- 1 yellow or white onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes for sprinkling
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut cabbage heads in half and boil for 15–20 minutes until soft. Drain water and chop into 1" squares. Then sauté cabbage for 2–3 minutes to remove excess water. Let cool and wrap cabbage leaves in dishtowel, squeezing out remaining water.
- Brown beef in skillet. When most of the pink is gone, add pepper and onion. Sauté 3 more minutes until thoroughly cooked and onion has softened. Add garlic, oregano and basil and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg white into crushed tomatoes. Add to meat mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix cheeses together.
- To assemble, double layer cabbage, meat sauce and cheese in greased 9" x 13" pan. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.