Marinated flank steak is our go-to cut of meat when we need to feed a hungry crowd in record time. It’s a thin cut so it cooks up quick—just eight to ten minutes for medium.
You will have to plan ahead to marinate the steak for about four to six hours. You’ll get plenty of wow-factor flavors. Flank steak is also especially good shredded and used in fajitas!
Marinated Flank Steak Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs flank steak
let's do it
- In a medium bowl, stir together oil, soy sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, onion powder, black pepper (or red pepper flakes) and cumin. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag and add marinade. Seal bag and gently shake to thoroughly coat the meat. Place the bag in a glass casserole dish and refrigerate for 4–6 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or set the oven to broil. Remove flank steak from the bag and discard the remaining marinade.
- For the grill: oil the grill grate and place steak on the grill and cook 4–5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. To broil, place steak on slotted broiler pan and broil in oven 5–6 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
- Remove steak from the heat, cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain of the meat.