Mexican Egg Skillet
Take your breakfast (or dinner) experience to the next level with our one-pan Mexican egg skillet recipe. This no-fuss meal is a perfect filling for warm tortillas or paired with crispy, oven-roasted potatoes.
Sweet sausage, jalapeño and fire roasted tomatoes make this dish as pretty as it is delicious. If you like it hot (cause you know we do!), leave some of the seeds from the jalapeño in tact.
If you opt to prepare this meal for dinner, try serving it in tandem with our spicy homemade cornbread and cilantro lime rice. Don’t forget the ice-cold cerveza, ole!
Mexican Egg Skillet Recipe
Prepare a winning one-pan meal for your favorite people. This Mexican egg skillet recipe is a home run for breakfast or dinner!
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 oz mild sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small jalapeños, diced, seeded, white membranes removed
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, add sausage and break it into small pieces. Cook until browned and cooked through—approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain all but a tablespoon of oil from the sausage and return the skillet to the heat, still set to medium. Add onion, jalapeños and salt then cook 3-4 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent. Add garlic then stir to combine. Cover and cook 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently—the onion and jalapeños should begin to turn light brown and become very soft.
- Uncover and add the tomatoes including juice (If the tomatoes have very little juice, add 1/4 cup chicken broth or water.), chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine then add the reserved sausage. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow the liquid to come to a bubble.
- Using a spoon, make four wells in the sauce just large enough to cradle the eggs. Crack one egg into each indentation and season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the eggs to poach in the liquid approximately 5-7 minutes, or to desired doneness. Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro over the top and serve with warm tortillas, beans and steamed rice. Muy bueno!
Crank up the heat with the optional red pepper flakes and dig in!
Calories: 124kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 214mg, Sodium: 518mg, Potassium: 337mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!