Make a hearty meal for your family—especially one that the kids will love. This not-too-spicy Mexican lasagna recipe layers your favorite ‘south of the border’ ingredients with corn tortillas and gooey, melted cheese.
Like any good lasagna recipe, putting together a delicious dish like this will take a little time—but this meal preparation is not tedious like traditional lasagna. You won’t have to fuss with noodles flopping all over the place—just layer the goods in a casserole dish then sip a well-deserved margarita while your dinner bakes to perfection.
Serve this recipe with tortilla chips, sour cream and fresh guacamole! If you have leftovers, you’re in for a treat. This dish tastes even better on day 2!
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tsp beef bouillon, or kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can tomatoes, petite diced
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 7 oz can green chilies, mild diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 16 oz container cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 18 – 5-inch corn tortillas, cut in half
- 4 cups Monterey Jack cheese, or cheddar Jack cheese
- Place rack in the center of the oven then preheat to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray then set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then brown the ground beef until no pink remains. Add the beef bouillon, onions and garlic then continue to cook for an additional 3−4 minutes, until the onion begins to soften and become translucent.
- Drain any excess grease from the ground beef then return to the heat. Add the diced tomatoes (including the juice), taco seasoning, diced green chiles and tomato paste then stir to combine. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- While the beef mixture simmers, stir the cottage cheese and eggs together in a bowl until the eggs are completely mixed into the cottage cheese. Set aside.
- Once the beef mixture has thickened, remove from heat and collect all of the components to assemble the lasagna.
- Begin assembly by adding just enough beef mixture to the bottom of the prepared casserole dish to barely cover the bottom. Cover the beef mixture with 2 layers of corn tortillas.
- Next, spread half of the remaining beef mixture over the tortillas, followed by half of the cottage cheese mixture. Cover the cottage cheese mixture with about 1½ c of cheese and cover with 2 layers of corn tortillas.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese as the top layer. Cover with aluminum foil then bake for 30−40 minutes, until the sides are bubbly and the center is hot. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5−10 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from oven and allow the lasagna to rest 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!