Baby it’s cold outside and you need to warm up with a hearty, yet healthy bowl of hot soup! Why not whip up a batch of our puréed vegetable soup with blue cheese crostini?
This soup is thickened by the natural starch from seasonal winter vegetables including carrots, turnip, cauliflower and leeks.
This recipe is not only simple to put together but makes for a light and delicious meal.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Puréed Vegetable Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 large celery stalks cut into 1" cubes
- 1 medium onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 leek chopped, white and green parts
- 1 cup green beans frozen, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower chopped
- 1 qt vegetable broth or stock
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon "Better Than Bouillon"
- 1 medium turnip peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
blue cheese crostini
- 1 baguette crusty, sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
let's do it
- Heat olive oil over low-to-medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, turnip, onion, garlic, leek, green beans and cauliflower. Cook 2–3 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent, stirring continuously.
- Add vegetable stock and bouillon, increase to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes
- Continue to simmer until turnip is soft enough it can be easily pierced with knife, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée in blender or food processor, working in batches if necessary (be careful of steam–it can blow off the lid of the blender).
- Return puréed soup to Dutch oven and bring to simmer again, adding more broth or stock to adjust consistency if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- As soup finishes, prepare crostini by spreading butter on sliced baguette. Top with blue cheese and broil 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish soup with crostini and serve immediately. Enjoy.