You can use whatever kind of vegetables you like. Just make certain they are cut into appropriately-sized pieces so that they cook evenly. I suggest you use turnips or parsnips, red potatoes, butternut squash and sweet potatoes because they get a nice caramelized texture, melt in your mouth and hold up to high heat. If you add a veggie that cooks a little quicker into the mix like cauliflower, make certain to cut the pieces bigger so they will cook at the same rate as the more hearty vegetables.
All in all, you’re looking at about three pounds of vegetables before cooking, so use your imagination and get creative with what’s in season. We especially love this method to make our chicken casserole with roasted veggies recipe!
Also, I went the traditional route by using rosemary as my herb of choice, but you can play around with basil, oregano or dill. Really, it’s up to your taste buds.
How to Make Roasted Veggies Video
what you'll need
- 1 small sweet potato cut into 1" pieces
- 1 butternut squash cut into 1" pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1½" pieces
- 2 turnips peeled cut into 1" pieces
- 8 oz whole button mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rosemary chopped, crushed, or 1½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- red pepper flakes optional to taste
let's do it
- Place 2 racks in the oven as close to the center as possible with at least 4" space between them. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
- Wash, peel, seed and cut vegetables into appropriate sizes. (Avoid deviating too much from the indicated cut sizes as the cooking time for each vegetable varies depending on its size.)
- Place the chopped vegetables in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Add the rosemary, salt and pepper, and toss to coat once again. Divide the vegetable medley evenly between the 2 prepared baking sheets and arrange into an even layer.
- Bake 40–45 minutes, tossing the vegetables every 15 minutes. The cooking time may vary slightly based on the size of the veggies, so roast until each vegetable is tender and the edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven, transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!
- The size of the cut vegetables will seem large at first, but remember, they shrink while roasting. Follow the instructions and they’ll come out slightly firm on the inside and roasted beautifully brown on the outside!