Granny Smith Salted Caramel Apples Video
You get the perfect blend of salty, tart and sweet with this recipe for Granny Smith salted caramel apples! We’ve worked and reworked the instructions so the mess is minimal and the results are outstanding. No more salivating over the candy apples in the store—now you can make your own at home.
It’s crucial to wash your apples well prior to dipping them in caramel. Any leftover wax will prevent the caramel from adhering properly. You’ll also want to make sure to apply just a thin layer of caramel. This keeps the mess at a minimum and makes the finished product much easier to enjoy!
We dusted the apples with a little coarse sea salt to add some savory to the sweet, but you can use any kind of toppings you like. This recipe is a crowd-pleaser; so make sure to prepare enough for everyone!
Granny Smith Salted Caramel Apples Recipe
- 8 Granny Smith apples
- 8 popsicle sticks
- 2 11 oz packages caramels
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Butter a baking sheet then set aside. Make room in your refrigerator for the baking sheet so apples can rest in the refrigerator to harden after prepared.
- Wash apples under hot water to remove any trace of wax. The caramel will not stick to the apple if any wax remains. Insert a popsicle stick into each apple then place on baking sheet.
- Unwrap caramels then place in a large glass bowl. Add cream and microwave on high for 1-minute intervals until completely melted. This may take 3-4 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave. Stir after each minute.
- Coat each apple in the melted caramel. Use a butter knife to scrape off excess caramel then sprinkle with salt and place back onto the buttered baking pan. The caramel needs to stay hot and runny so make sure to apply just a thin coating. If the caramel mixture begins to cool, reheat in the microwave. When all of the apples have been coated, place pan in the refrigerator until hardened.