Spicy Thai Grilled Shrimp
Our spicy Thai grilled shrimp are not flamin’ hot—but they do deliver a little kick along with seasonings like red chili, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and Thai lime leaf.
You can find sweet chili sauce and Thai curry paste in the Asian foods aisle of any supermarket, so don’t worry about having to go to a specialty store for the ingredients. You can get everything you need for this recipe while you do all of your regular grocery shopping for the week.
We experimented with several types of shrimp for our spicy Thai grilled shrimp recipe and determined that large or jumbo shrimp work best. Anything smaller will fall through the grates and burn over the coals—and we’re not about to waste good shrimp!
Serve these little guys on wood satay sticks to enjoy as an appetizer or main course, or incorporate them with noodles or in a salad. Either way, we love the ability to try something new on the barbecue!
Spicy Thai Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp red Thai curry paste
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- lime wedges
- 1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce, plus additional for dipping
- Mix lime juice, fish or soy sauce, mustard powder, garlic, brown sugar and curry paste together in a shallow baking dish or medium-sized mixing bowl until completely combined.
- Dry any excess moisture from peeled and deveined shrimp, add to marinade then stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes while preheating grill to medium heat.
- When grill is hot, move coals to one side of grill or turn off burners on one side of grill. Lightly oil grill grates on the side without direct heat underneath. If desired, thread shrimp onto skewers or place them individually onto the oiled section of the grill.
- Grill shrimp 2–3 minutes per side or until firm and opaque. Remove from grill to a platter and squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice over shrimp. Brush or toss with sweet chili sauce or serve it on the side.