We used 2% evaporated milk and 2% regular milk to make this dish light and creamy!
For the best results, we recommend grating your own cheese. The grated cheese packages sold in super markets typically contain starch, which can cause the cheese sauce to become grainy.
You’ll fall in love with this stovetop mac-n-cheese recipe that doesn’t require any baking in the oven! If you have leftovers, take it from us—the grub tastes even better on day two!
stovetop mac-n-cheese recipe
It’s a quick, easy and creamy version of a family favorite! This stovetop mac-n-cheese recipe is as easy as making the pre-packaged version—but better!
Yield: 6 servings
- 8 oz elbow macaroni, ½ box
- 12 oz can 2% low-fat evaporated milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, grated, about ½ cup lightly packed
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated, about 1½ cups lightly packed
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then cook macaroni until tender but still firm, according to directions on package. Drain into colander then set aside.
- Return pot to stove over medium-high heat and add entire can of evaporated milk, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder and paprika. Bring to a boil. While milk is heating, stir together 2% milk and cornstarch until completely dissolved.
- When liquid is boiling, remove from heat momentarily then stir in cornstarch mixture. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly as it thickens. Reduce heat to medium-low then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat then gradually stir in grated cheeses, one large handful at a time. Stir each addition of cheese until completely melted before adding the next. Once cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, add macaroni, gently stirring to combine.
- Let rest for 5 minutes so the sauce can thicken slightly, then give it another good stir. Serve your creamy, cheesy masterpiece with a sprinkle of pepper, if desired, and enjoy!
If you like a little spice in your life, top mac-n-cheese with a light dusting of smoked paprika or chili powder. Yum!
Calories: 331kcal, Carbohydrates: 37g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 574mg, Potassium: 267mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 8g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!