If you like the comfort of a classic grilled cheese sandwich, then you’re going to absolutely love this simple avocado grilled cheese sandwich recipe! The ingredients are basic and you’ll get the added benefit of those healthy oils from the avocado. The avocado also adds a creamy texture that is just right, so you can skip the mayo and save some empty calories.
Rustic sourdough bread will add some extra charm to the sandwich if you’re trying to impress company, but any sliced bread will do! The magic is in the buttery, golden-brown texture that comes from the skillet.
Mozzarella cheese is ideal for this particular recipe because the results are so gooey and delicious! The natural, creamy texture of the cheese will melt to perfection without having to overcook (ahem, burn) the bread—yum!
avocado grilled cheese sandwich recipe
- 8 slices sourdough bread, or white bread
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
- 8 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, quartered and sliced
- salt and pepper
- Place medium-sized non-stick skillet over medium heat then allow it to heat. Spread 1½ tsp unsalted butter on 1 side of each bread slice then place 2 pieces in the skillet butter side down. If your skillet’s large enough, you can add 4 pieces of bread, making 2 sandwiches at a time.
- Immediately top each slice of bread with 1½ oz of sliced or shredded mozzarella—3 oz per sandwich. Cover skillet, but keep the lid slightly open—doing so will trap heat inside the skillet and help melt the cheese. When the bread is golden brown on the bottom and the cheese is melted—about 2–3 minutes in the skillet—remove bread from the skillet.
- Place the sliced tomato and avocado on one side then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the other slice of bread on top and press lightly. Repeat for remaining sandwich. Enjoy!
The key to a great color and crunch is to use moderate heat. This allows the butter and bread to crisp and color slowly for the ultimate satisfactory results!