It is so quick and simple to make a tomato basil frittata. It only takes ten minutes to prepare, then pop it in the oven till the timer goes, ‘ding’! The results yield a fluffy, cheesy and savory quiche, seasoned to perfection.
Helpful hints: If you have a different sized pie plate, adjust the cooking time accordingly and make sure you only fill it ¾ of the way or it will overflow in the oven! Also, whisk flour together with one egg before beating in the rest of the eggs to avoid lumps of flour in your filling.
Tomato Basil Frittata Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves torn
- 4 oz cherry tomatoes halved or quartered, about 12-15
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend shredded and divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9" pie dish with cooking spray.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour together with one egg, then add remaining,eggs and milk, then beat until light and fluffy. Add cooked onions with basil, cherry tomatoes, 1 cup of cheese, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the filling to prepared pie dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately with a light side salad and crusty bread.