There’s no need to cook turkey chili all day long. You can get fantastic, hearty results in about an hour with our quick-cooking recipe!
We use mashed pinto beans to give our turkey chili a rich thickness. It tastes like it’s been simmering for hours—and you don’t even need to add any starch.
Canned beans bring the chili together faster, making it perfect for the stovetop. But you can still make this a classic slow cooker meal, too.
If you have time to wait and prefer the slow cooker, just brown turkey on the stove first. This seals in the flavor. Then, just add it to the slow cooker with the rest of your ingredients and cook on low for 6–8 hours or high for 3½–4 hours.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Hearty Turkey Chili Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 28 oz can tomatoes crushed
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 16 oz can kidney beans drained
- 2 cans pinto beans drained and divided
- hot sauce to taste
let's do it
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat then add oil and ground turkey. Cook 6–8 minutes until browned, breaking it into chunks as it cooks.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper then cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, drained kidney beans and 1 can of drained pinto beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add remaining can of pinto beans and mash them into a paste with a fork using a small amount of liquid from the pot to loosen the mixture if necessary. Add mashed beans to the chili and stir to combine.
- Allow the chili to simmer, uncovered, until it reaches desired thickness. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce and serve with all of your favorites on the side.