Sheet cakes are easy to prepare and feed the masses! We decided to mix it up a bit and use vanilla instead of chocolate. For being so simple, this dessert is quite impressive!
You don’t need a mixing bowl, just a single saucepan to get the ingredients going. Once the cake mixture is prepared, you’ll pour it into a jelly roll pan then whip up your icing in the same saucepan. Don’t you just love an easy cleanup after baking?
We browned the butter in the glaze to give it a deeper, nuttier flavor. The glaze comes together in a flash, so when the cake comes out of the oven, add the icing while the cake is slightly warm to retain the moisture you love. Voila! Now you’ve got a magnificent dessert ready to serve in under an hour.
Vanilla Texas Sheet Cake with Brown Butter Icing Recipe
- vanilla sheet cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- brown butter glaze
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste, or extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then coat a 10" x 15" jelly roll or sheet pan with cooking spray. Add butter and water to a large saucepan then place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in flour, sugar and sour cream until smooth.
- Add beaten eggs, vanilla, salt and baking soda and stir until smooth. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish and bake 20–22 minutes until golden brown and firm in center. Rinse and dry saucepan to use when making the glaze.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on a rack for 10–15 minutes.
- For the glaze, place butter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat. Continue heating until butter just barely begins to turn brown on the bottom then immediately remove from heat and add milk. Stir to combine. Add powdered sugar and vanilla paste and mix until a smooth and pourable glaze forms. If necessary, add a bit more milk to thin, or a bit more powdered sugar to thicken glaze to proper consistency. Pour glaze over slightly warm cake and spread into an even layer. Allow cake to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Texas sheet cake is typically chocolate, however we changed it to a vanilla cake and kept the name!