Our vegan green bean casserole will be a staple on your holiday table this year. Even guests who aren’t following a vegetarian or vegan diet will love them.
When it comes to green beans, fresh is best for a casserole but you can definitely substitute frozen if you’d like. And, we double-checked that the French fried onions were vegan-friendly. However, this differs by brand so read your labels. It’s always a good idea to confirm.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 qts water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 lb green beans fresh, trimmed and cut into 2" long pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine vermouth or sherry
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup soy creamer
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 oz can French fried onions
let's do it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place a rack in the center of the oven. Spray an 8" x 8" casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and green beans and cook for 6–10 minutes, depending on desired tenderness. Drain the beans and run under cool water to stop the cooking process and set them aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion. Cook for about 3–4 minutes and then add the garlic and mushrooms. Season the mixture with 1 tsp kosher salt and continue cooking for an additional 8–9 minutes until the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated and the edges become golden brown.
- Add wine, vermouth or sherry and cook for about 2 minutes or until completely evaporated. Once the liquid has once again evaporated, sprinkle the mixture with the flour and stir to combine. Cook the flour for about 2 minutes before adding the vegetable broth. After adding the broth, stir to dissolve the flour completely.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for about 2 minutes. Stir in the soy creamer and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the green beans to the skillet and stir to coat thoroughly in the sauce before transferring to the prepared casserole dish. Bake the casserole for about 30 minutes, until the edges begin to bubble and the casserole is hot throughout. Top the casserole with French fried onions and bake an additional 10 minutes until the topping becomes a nice deep golden color.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
One Last Thing