Love fish tacos but worried about the carbs? Ditch the bread and choose lettuce instead! Our fish lettuce wraps are a great way to make a healthier snack or meal and we’ve done it Vera Cruz-style!
We used mahi fillets—they’re meatier, and have a mild taste, perfect to pair with a little spice. Get ready for some heat when you rub the fillets in our spice mixture of chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper!
We recommend letting the filets soak in the spices for about an hour for maximum flavor. Yum!
Vera Cruz-Style Fish Lettuce Wraps
what you'll need
let's do it
- Rinse mahi fillets and pat dry. Cut filets into 2 oz servings (about 8 pieces total).
- Combine chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper in small bowl.
- Rub fish with spices cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeños and sauté 3-4 minutes (until soft).
- Add diced tomatoes and green olives and continue cooking for 2 minutes more.
- Place cooked veggies to 9″ x 11″ pan, set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to same pan; return to heat. Sear fish until each side is browned (about 1 min per side).
- Place fish on top of vegetables. Squeeze juice from 1 lime over fish. Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove fish, slice into strips; place in serving bowl.
- Remove veggies; place in serving bowl.
- Assemble taco by adding desired amount of fish and veggies on lettuce leaf
- top with spicy homemade salsa or pico de gallo.