Chicken wild rice broccoli casserole is an old favorite that usually involves a can of soup, a can of veggies, chicken and a topping. We kept the same comfort feel and easy instructions for chicken casserole, but added fresh veggies and flavorful wild rice. And don’t worry; we didn’t replace the onion ring toppings. Some things are better left alone!
This hearty meal is an easy one to fix, and one that can be prepared in the morning and baked at dinnertime. It can also be cooked and then frozen for a future meal.
Served with a salad, applesauce and dinner rolls, our chicken wild rice broccoli casserole is sure to satisfy your hungry crew!
Chicken Wild Rice Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 6 oz long grain and wild rice, cooked
- 1 large head broccoli, broken into florets with stems chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 10 oz cans cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 oz can onions, fried
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in large pot of hot water and bring to a boil then turn down heat to medium-low and simmer until just cooked, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pot to cool, set aside.
- Shred chicken into bite-size pieces and place in large mixing bowl. Add chopped broccoli, diced onion and cooked rice then stir in cream of chicken soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with onion rings.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Whenever a recipe calls for cooked chicken, it’s nice to make extra. Use it for chicken salad or in a different casserole later in the week.