This five-ingredient pesto bean soup is hearty and flavorful thanks to the addition of sundried tomatoes and Parmesan. Prep is even faster when you use pre-made pesto!
Sundried tomatoes come packed in either water or olive oil. It doesn’t matter which you use in this recipe. Both are good, but make sure to drain the tomatoes before you chop them up and toss them into the soup.
Feeding a hungry crowd? You can bulk up this pesto soup recipe by adding shredded chicken, sausage, or even spinach or kale (because greens are never a bad idea!).
You can even make this a vegetarian-friendly dish by substituting veggie broth for chicken broth.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
5-Ingredient Pesto Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup pesto, prepared
- 8-10 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place drained and rinsed beans into a medium-sized saucepan and add 1½ cups of chicken broth. Reserve remainder of chicken broth for later. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 8–10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add Parmesan, pesto and sundried tomatoes and stir to combine. Add as much of the remaining chicken broth as is needed to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and allow soup to heat to a simmer, but do not allow it to come to a boil. Serve and enjoy.
Serve this soup with your favorite crusty bread for some delicious dipping!