What’s better than enjoying a big ol’ plate of French fries? Our guilt-free, great-tasting, baked sweet potato fries recipe! The fries aren’t just better for you because they’re not fried; they also have a lower glycemic index than Russet potatoes and have outstanding flavor!
These babies can be seasoned with anything from cinnamon and sugar to cayenne pepper and chili powder—you’re the cook, so get creative! We also have great dipping sauces to choose from, like our chipotle zesty dipping sauce and easy cucumber yogurt sauce.
Just like the name suggests, sweet potatoes are relatively sweet. But they’re also low on the glycemic scale, which means they have a lower impact on your blood sugar than a regular potato—score! They’re also a great source of vitamin C.
The fries are baked and table-ready in less than 1 hour, making them a winning side dish or snack. Keep in mind they’ll never be as crispy as the fried version, but we think healthy choices mean we get to eat twice as much!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 2 lbs
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- spices, for sprinkling, (such as cinnamon paprika, cayenne or cumin)
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place two racks in the top and bottom ⅓ of oven then preheat to 450 degrees. Place two baking sheets, one on each rack, in the oven to preheat along with it.
- Scrub sweet potatoes under cool water then blot dry using a kitchen towel. Peel potatoes (if desired) then trim away blemishes using a paring knife. Cut potatoes in half then into quarters. Cut each quarter into ¼" matchsticks then place them in a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over sweet potato fries then toss until completely coated. Sprinkle fries evenly with salt, cornstarch and desired spices then toss until cornstarch is completely dissolved and there’s a thin film coating each fry.
- Remove hot baking sheets from oven then coat with cooking spray. Divide sweet potato fries evenly between baking sheets, separating the fries as far apart as possible to ensure maximum crispiness. Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping the fries every 10 minutes. Remove from oven then serve nice and hot.
Table salt works great, but if you have kosher salt available it’s even better for sprinkling!