It’s high time to put a fun, tasty twist on the classically loved cinnamon roll. Our blueberry lemon sweet rolls are easily put together with pre-made bread dough and fresh or frozen blueberries.
This sweet roll recipe is so yummy and easy to make—why not turn it into a fun baking activity with the kids? Prepare the rolls the night before so the entire family can wake up the following morning to a tasty, decadent breakfast.
Be sure to pour the glaze over the rolls and serve while they are still slightly warm so that the gooey icing gets into all their nooks and crannies!
Be sure to have napkins handy—after you and the kids devour these rolls, you’ll need somewhere to wipe off those sticky fingers!
Iced Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 loaf bread dough frozen, bake-and-serve
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small carton blueberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
let's do it
- Thaw bread dough according to directions on package.
- Generously grease 9" x 9" square cake pan or 9" round cake pan.
- Roll out bread dough on lightly floured surface into 12" x 12" square. Spread butter onto dough, reserving 1 Tbsp. Combine granulated sugar, lemon zest and salt and spread over buttered dough. Place blueberries evenly over surface of dough.
- Roll dough like a jellyroll and pinch edges to seal. Slice the rolled up dough into 12 equal slices and place into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap or dish towel and move pan to a warm, moist environment until doubled in size, about 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap or towel and bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, brush with remaining butter and set aside to cool
- While rolls are cooling, place all ingredients for glaze into bowl, whisk until well combined and no lumps remain. Pour or spread glaze over slightly warm rolls.