Baked Apple Protein Donuts
Fall baking is one of our favorite activities of the season. With so many yummy flavors like pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, and cloves, it’s hard to find anything more satisfying. These Baked Apple Protein Donuts are one of our favorite new additions to our fall baking line up. Not only are they tasty, but thanks to a big scoop of Greek yogurt and some protein powder, there’s a big punch of protein in addition to the delicious apple pie flavor.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
If you don’t have apple pie spice in your pantry, don’t worry. You can use this easy recipe to mix some up based on traditional spices you probably have on hand.
Baked Apple Protein Donuts Recipe Tips:
+ If you can’t find oat flour in the grocery store, you can make your own by throwing some oats in the food processor and grinding them down until it’s a fine powder. You can also substitute regular flour if you prefer.
+ If you’re not following a high protein diet, feel free to skip the protein powder. If you do, you may need to add more flour to the mixture to get the right texture.
+ If you don’t have a donut pan, don’t worry. Just use a traditional cupcake pan or form the donut shape (or donut holes!) on a regular baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the donut pans for about a dozen.
- Grate the apple on the large portion of a cheese grater. Wrap the grated apple in cheesecloth or paper towel and wring well to release the excess moisture.
- Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and protein powder until smooth.
- Fold in the grated apples, then fold in the oat flour, baking powder, and apple pie spice.
- Add the batter to the greased donut pans, dividing evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a baking sheet. Continue to cool for 20 minutes or until room temperature.
- Coat the donuts if desired: Mix together the powdered sugar and cinnamon until well combined. Place on a plate. Place a donut on the plate and coat with the sugar mixture. Flip the donut and coat the other side, rolling to coat the sides if desired. Repeat with the remaining donuts.