Caramelized Butternut Squash
This caramelized butternut squash is so super easy that it will literally take you 5 minutes to prep once you’ve cleaned and peeled the squash. It is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
Caramelized Butternut Squash Recipe
To enhance the sweetness and caramelizing process, I use only a touch of brown sugar in my caramelized butternut squash recipe to keep it nice and savory!
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1½" pieces (approx. 2 medium)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- red pepper flakes, crushed, to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all ingredients except the red pepper flakes, making certain to coat the squash evenly. Divide the mixture in half and pour onto two baking sheets. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes for an added kick if desired then roast 40–45 minutes. To make certain it browns evenly on all sides, stir a few times as it roasts.
Make certain to use two baking sheets. If you place the entire recipe on one sheet, the squash will steam and not caramelized.
Calories: 222kcal, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 81mg, Potassium: 1097mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 10g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!